The women of Loyola Marymount University embody the mission and the purpose of the university – fulfillment of the entire person.
In this spirit, the Women's Leadership Council exists to further advance the involvement and leadership of women at all levels of the university. WLC@NYC embraces this spirit and will carry the proud WLC tradition of female strength and leadership to the New York tri-state area, supporting the university by increasing the visibility of women and provide advocacy for philanthropic issues.
The Women's Leadership Council increases the involvement and visibility of women in leadership roles at the university and in our broader, national community.
Members determine how and where funds will be invested. As our WLC@NYC circle of members grow, so does our ability to further leverage the power of women to support university initiatives.
As a member of the New York tri-state branch of the Women's Leadership Council, you will join a dynamic community of women who are using their commitment to philanthropy to celebrate and support Loyola Marymount University. The Council is an excellent way for women to develop connections with each other and become more connected to the university.
WLC@NYC members will have the opportunity to contribute to LMU by:
- Participating in intellectual programs that deepen connections with LMU and our larger community
- Mentoring and networking with students and young alumnae who have moved to the tri-state area
- Engaging with other woman about philanthropy
- Promoting women's contributions and achievements
- Expanding women's financial support of the University
- View photos from our inaugural event on March 23, 2011.
- Since our launch event in March 2011, we have had three more exciting events in New York! In December 2011, we braved harsh rains and ventured to the Lower East Side to visit the small and mighty Tenement Museum. Holiday toasts followed at Casa Mezcal. View photos.
- In April 2012, we brought LMU professor Amir Hussain to speak to our group. His topic was "American Muslims: Fact vs. Fiction." View photos.
- Our WLC@NYC group enjoyed a private guided tour of the newest blockbuster at the New-York Historical Society in October 2012, "WWII & NYC." "WWII & NYC" is an account of how New York and its metropolitan region contributed to Allied victory. The exhibition also explored the captivating, sobering, and moving stories of how New Yorkers experienced and confronted the challenges of "total war." View photos.
- In September 2013, we had a private tour of the 9/11 Memorial, led by volunteers from the 9/11 Tribute Center, several of whom were members of FDNY and working that day 12 years ago. We capped off this very poignant day by sharing stories at nearby Les Halles.
We look forward to more events this year! Download the WLC@NYC membership brochure to apply.
"Our NYC chapter will strengthen bonds with one another, and will increase awareness of women-driven activities and of those making a difference in the LMU community. Our distance will be shorter, our involvement greater."
- Martina Deignan '71 and JoAnn Mara Parent '07, WLC@NYC Co-Chairs